Ardrossan Dock Yard
Information taken from Grace’s Guide
Ardrossan Dockyard, shipbuilders of Ardrossan. There have been a number of enterprises with this name; not clear to what extent they are connected apart from location.
1842 Barr and Shearer was established at Ardrossan, North Ayrshire, Scotland
1859 Joseph Russell took over the lease of the Ardrossan dockyard in Ayrshire. Over the next six years the yard built about thirty small vessels.
1865 Russell gave up the lease as the owner would not sell the yard to him.
1891 Ardrossan Shipbuilding Co acquired limited liability, as Ardrossan Dockyard Ltd,
1899 Company dissolved; a successor company, the Ardrossan Dry Dock and Shipbuilding Co Ltd was incorporated.
1926 Ardrossan Dockyard became a private company – Ardrossan Dockyard Ltd. took over from the Ardrossan Dry Dock and Shipbuilding Co Ltd. the shipyard of Ardrossan, Ayrshire, where shipbuilding has been carried on for over a hundred years. There are eight building berths, and vessels up to 450ft, in length can be built, the whole works covering 31 acres. There is a dry dock 341ft long by 47ft wide with a depth of water on sill of 17ft and a private wet dock.
1961 Engineers, shipbuilders and repairers. 500 employees.